March 10, 2011

Debugging tip: insertNotesClientLinks852

Today I got this fairly unknown error when trying to access a document with a XPage.

The runtime has encountered an unexpected error.

Error source
Page Name:/myXpage.xsp



After doing a quick search on google I found a post on the IBM forums claiming this had to do with bad HTML markup within a Rich Text field.

Unfortunately this particular Document had tons of HTML, so it took some time narrowing it down. After some 30 mins I discovered the error was caused by a anchor tag where the href attribute was missing a " at the start...

Anyways.. problem solved!


  1. There is a Java Class HTMLCleaner you could entertain to cleanup the HTML. Could work in a custom validator.

  2. Thank you Stephan. Will certainly try that!